Movie Muse: Gravity

Gravity

GRAVITY! GRAVITY! FRIKKIN' GRAVITY. Let me just start by saying if you haven't seen it. WATCH IT! Watch it now in fact... I can wait...
...
...
...
You watched it yet? What you waiting for? I'm not gonna start talking until you watch it.
...
...
...
You watched it? Good.
(I know some of you haven't you rebels)

Gravity is not just a film it's an experience. I can only imagine what it would have been like to watch in IMAX. Unfortunately I had to watch it on a 15.6" screen on my laptop. But still, I was still totally engrossed and immersed within the film.

To give you a brief outline, 3 astronauts in space I have to try and make it back to Earth before they are a hit by incoming debris. A film totally set in space, you would have thought it would be more complicated than that, but nope. That's IT! I think the simplicity of the plot also makes it such a great film. The fact that we are in the biggest possible arena we can have, the story is ultimately about one person and her need to survive. Simplicity is beautiful isn't it.

The special effects are immaculate and is one of the most visually stunning films I have ever seen. From the gigantic rock we call planet Earth to the intricacies of the space stations and flying debris the visuals are second to none. I didn't know what to expect but it surpassed all expectations.

Great performances given by both George Clooney and Sandra Bullock gives the film a certain credibility. I would've loved to have seen Robert Downey Jr in the lead role, who was in fact considered for the role, but Clooney makes a good replacement. Some of the dialogue did seem stale and cheesy at times but the compelling story and visuals certainly make up for it.

I don't know whether non film buffs will appreciate this film as much as it should be as I have heard some people mention that it is a bit boring at times. These opinions mainly due to the fact that a large portion of the film is just Sandra Bullock's character alone. However because of her characters story her isolation from other characters and the Earth itself may at times see boring but is necessary as the audience goes on this journey with her creating an emotional attachment.

I could talk about this film all day but to wrap up all that is left to say is Kudos to director and writer Alfonso Cuarón as he has what is arguably a masterpiece.

0 comments:

Post a Comment